Tuesday, September 8, 2009

One Tomato. Two Tomato. Three Tomato. Four.

About a week's worth of tomatoes from our garden.

I posted earlier this summer about the fact that I had planted a few too many tomatoes. Here is the problem -- the only person in my house who likes to eat raw tomatoes is me. And even I can't eat that many caprese salads.

At the same time, I am not about to let the fruits of my little garden just go to waste. That would be so sad.

The other dilemma is that our Roma tomatoes aren't all that great. They are fine for cooking and I have made a few yummy sauces with them. But they aren't so great for just plain eating.

So what's a girl to do? I am oven drying them.

I slice my little beauties up and put them on a baking sheet with a little bit of olive oil and good salt. Then pop them in a 200 degree oven and let them cook for about six or seven hours. Once most of the moisture is gone -- but before they become little hockey pucks, I take them out and store them in my freezer.

But wait there is more.

I use my oven-dried tomatoes to make a delicious tomato pesto. Here's how. I put the over-dried tomatoes, a little bit of olive oil, salt, pine nuts, a clove of roasted garlic and basil into a food processor. Whirrrl.

I have been serving the tomato pesto on crostini with melted smoked mozzeralla on top. I can think of no better use for my little tomatoes. Delish.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent ideas. I am not even a tomato person, but you have inspired me to plant a little tomato garden next year...