Monday, November 15, 2010

This One is Important: Making Holiday Military Care Packages

I don't mean to by pushy or anything, but I wanted to suggest an idea for a family project that is perfect for the upcoming holiday season: you should make a care package to send to someone in the military who won't be home with their own families for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year.

We made a package for my cousin Brian who is in the Army. My kids loved participating in this easy project (and hopefully Brian liked the notes and goodies we sent along).

I wrote a story about the basics of assembling packages (with lots of helpful links) and a suggestion for a homemade craft that your kids can include in the box for the November issue of Chicago Parent. If you are looking for ideas on how to get started assembling your own care packages, you can have a look here and here.

1 comment:

elizabeth rago said...

This is a great idea! My family sent a care package a few years ago and it was really fun to put together. This year, we "adopted" a few children from Haiti and created gift boxes for them.

Even though they are young, it was a great opportunity for my 4 year old and 2 year old to look at a map and talk about the world and other countries. My son asks every day if our friends in Haiti have their gifts.

Great post!