Thursday, March 13, 2008

Hello Again, Friend


You know when you make a recipe a bunch of times, then sort of get sick of it, and forget about it -- only to then rediscover it and wonder how you could have been foolish enough to callously toss it aside? So it is with me and the Barefoot Contessa's Orzo with Roasted Vegetables. There was a time when I made this recipe with regularity. Then I stopped making it for oh, three years or so.

A few weeks ago I had to good fortune to have my sister-in-law whip up her yummy, yummy variation for lunch. So good. Like running into an old friend on the street and picking up where you left off.

I made a batch for a quick and easy dinner last night (with a few substitutions -- yellow onion instead of red; summer squash and zucchini instead of eggplant, only one, tiny chopped scallion, and one garlic clove). I made it around noon and let it sit in the refrigerator to get better and better. The best part was that my kids actually ate it up and declared the meal "delicious."

I am putting this guy back in my repertoire. Can't wait for the leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I am even adding orzo with roasted vegetables to the menu for the garden party I am hosting at the end of May.

Hello again, friend. And I couldn't be happier to introduce the two of you.

No comments: