Monday, October 8, 2007

Croissants For Dinner



I am usually not into recipes that have a start-to-finish time of over nineteen hours. But I have been thinking about making homemade croissants for about the last six years, so I decided to try it out this weekend because I don't think that there is ever going to be a "good time" to embark on a nineteen-hour baking project.


My first attempt took more like twenty-nine hours, but the results were delicious. Ellie and I rolled them together, so they were a little nontraditional in their shape. The recipe actually wasn't terribly complicated, just time-consuming.

Here was the only problem: I am not much for baker's hours. The final step required you to roll out the dough and shape the croissants and let them rise for two-and-a-half hours before baking. We eat breakfast around 7:30 at our house. That means a 4:30 wake up to have these things fresh for breakfast. No way.

So we had warm croissants for dinner. Ellie said it was "ridiculous." I would eat them every night if I had twenty-nine hours to make them each weekend.

No comments: