Friday, November 14, 2008

One Last Project

Those of you who know me in "real life" know that my Dad passed away last June after three years of illness. Some of you also may know that he was an accomplished poet.

During the last three years when his entire body was basically falling apart, he managed to complete a book about Buffalo, New York -- his beloved hometown. Much of it was written on legal pads from his hospital bed in various stages of consciousness (and some stages of significant confusion).

The fact that he was able to call upon his brain to write poetry in the midst of all of his major organ systems failing him is a feat that I still can't quite comprehend. I certainly think that it is no coincidence that he died within days of submitting his final manuscript (and watching my sister walk down the aisle).

Last Tuesday, I traveled (gigantic baby belly and all) to Buffalo for a sort of "book release" party to celebrate my Dad and his one last project. If you love Buffalo (or know someone who does), this book will inspire many fond memories.

Anyway, the book is available now. It is called Buffalo Visions and Voices. And it is one last accomplishment to marvel at.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Oh, Cate, that is so awesome! Hope you had a good trip to Buffalo. Tell your kids hello.