Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Box is Back!

Because of some harsh growing conditions in the Midwest this spring and summer, my CSA box went on a two week hiatus (they added two weeks on to the end of season to compensate us).

But after two long weeks of missing the box, we were rewarded yesterday! Here is what we got (and my thoughts on how I am going to use everything).

  • green peppers
  • Diva cucumber
  • carrots
  • bottle onions
  • garlic
  • sweet corn
  • yellow watermelon
  • cauliflower
  • giant kohlrabi
  • new potatoes
  • eggplant
  • lacinato kale
The watermelon is already gone -- we had it for dessert last night.
The great thing about the garlic, carrots, and potatoes is that you don't need to be in any particular rush to use them.
I am going to roast some of the green peppers to have with chorizo and queso blanco quesadillas tonight.
More green pepper, slices of the giant kohlrabi, cucumber and a carrot or two will be part of my lunch tomorrow, alongside some hummus or dip (trying to get lots and lots of veggies to my new babe).
I am going to roast the last green pepper, the eggplant, and the bottle onions (along with maybe a squash and red pepper) for a "roasted ratatouille" to go with steak on Saturday night.
The corn on the cob is going to be devoured with cheeseburgers on Friday evening.
I have become totally addicted to new potatoes, boiled and served with only salt, pepper, butter and chopped parsley -- so simple and tasty. I am going to save these to have with seared halibut on Sunday night.
Cauliflower is always a tricky one for me -- probably best to turn in into some sort of Ina Garten-inspired gratin with gruyere sauce and some toasted breadcrumbs. Maybe Monday night with grilled chicken.
Which brings us to the last man standing -- the lacinato kale. What to do? What to do? I prefer kale in a soup so maybe I will make a brothy white bean and bacon soup with chopped kale for dinner on Tuesday (when it is supposed to be rainy and not ninety degrees).
Sounds good.

No comments: