Friday, January 15, 2010

'Tis the Season for Comfort Foods

No better time than the sweater-wearing months to indulge in a little comfort food! And indulge we have.

In the past few days, we've made braised short ribs, creamy potato leek soup, ragu from the leftover short ribs over pappardelle and of course this damn good batch of homemade mac and cheese pictured above.

I read an article about mac and cheese in the January issue of Fine Cooking (a post-Gourmet era culinary magazine that I highly recommend by the way). I've been making my own macaroni and cheese for a few years now but I was starting to tire of my recipe which frankly seemed a little bit gloppy the last few times I made it. So I made a few changes based on the ingredients and techniques suggested in the article.

Oh, it was so good. And we have at least three more months of big, heavy, chub-concealing cardigan wearing left around these parts so we are sure to indulge in this meal a few more times in the chilly months to come.

2 comments:

Chi-town momma said...

This pic looks delicious!!! I guess I need to attempt to make my own Mac and cheese!

April said...

that looks so incredibly yummy.

*sigh*