Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Richard Scarry Revelation


Today I learned that if you give two busy boys (age three and four respectively) a copy of Richard Scarry's Cars and Trucks and Things That Go, their little transportation-obsessed minds fall into an almost trance-like state -- causing them to cuddle up together on the couch and sweetly flip through every single page of the book.

They attentively poured over each page, discussing which "soldier man truck" is superior and debating whether the hook and ladder truck is "more awesomer" than the regular old firetruck. This went on for over an hour.

Little boys and mothers agree -- Richard Scarry is a genius.

8 comments:

Meghan Murray said...

This does not surprise me. Finn is a lover of all things Scarry. I love that they were enjoying him together!

Unknown said...

Very cute... I hope that Scarry works on the little ladies too, as we all know I have a busy one on my hands! :)

Amber said...

I have just stumbled across this blog and it is lovely. Happy new year!

Caitlin Murray Giles said...

Thank you for your kind comments -- I don't say that enough!

Grace {Formerly Gracie} said...

Agreed! I recently introduced my son to the World of Scarry and his is such a fan! We all are.

Chi-town momma said...

I need to dig out my old Scarry books. I'm sure my little man - lover of all things with wheels - will enjoy them!

selfmademom said...

seriously it's my son's favorite book!! We love all things Scarry in this house :)

Susan Bearman said...

I have to admit, as a mom I hated the Richard Scarry books for one reason — they were terrible read alouds and took forever. My boys, however, loved them, and pored over all the vehicles (adding appropriate sound effects for each one) and (the best part) looking for Goldbug.