Monday, June 11, 2007

Corn Salsa

I was a little surprised to see all of the corn available at the market this past week. I'm no farmer, but isn't corn supposed to be "knee high by the fourth of July?" It just seems a little early to me. Anyway. Yum. Fresh corn is here! It's arrival delights me so because corn is the main ingredient in one of my favorite summer dinners: corn salsa and grilled wild salmon (best eaten on the porch with sun shining, lovely family assembled, glass of wine in hand).

Corn Salsa: A Tutorial

Basics:

After removing husk and silk, rub ears with butter and season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning frequently so the ears get some brown caramelized spots.

Once the corn has cooled, cut the kernels from the ear (I know of two different tips for safely and neatly accomplishing this: (1) cut the ears in half so you have a flat surface to cut on and (2) place a cereal bowl upside down inside a larger bowl and the cut corn will fall into the larger bowl, rather than go all over your floor).

Add finely chopped scallion, cilantro, and red bell pepper (in whatever proportions appeal to you). Toss with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.

The beauty of corn salsa is the possible variations: black beans, avocado, chopped grilled zucchini, heirloom tomatoes. You could use it as an accompaniment to fajitas. And any leftovers make a delicious quesadilla.

Sadly, my sweet Ellie doesn't share my affinity for corn, reminding me that she only "likes food that isn't yucky." More later on healthy meals that my children will actually eat.

No comments: